It got so cold last night....bbrrrr....but by 8:00 a.m.....
it had warmed up so much by the sun that the ground was steaming...
Except this is not steam....it's the neighbour trying to send smoke signals again....
We had about 5 or 6 hours to drive again today so we thought we would take a break and stop in Mitchell to see the "Worlds Only Corn Palace"...we saw it 5 years ago and we had heard they had changed it recently so we thought....Why not?
...well...it was pretty cool....when you consider the history of it.
325,000 colourful ears of corn...
all done by hand...stapled in place...
a local farmer plants 10-12 different colours of corn in carefully separated plots to ensure plants do not cross-pollinate and dilute the purity of the colour...
The first Mitchell Corn Palace was part of a late 19th Century race by farming communities to make names for themselves, promote their products and draw visitors.
At one time....there were 34 of them in 24 towns in the Midwest....all gone but here in Mitchell...
The truck in front is actually for the guys stapling the corn on the building...
Isn't this the happiest cob of corn you have ever seen!!!
The murals are all made of different varieties of corn and husks...
Back on the road again....and the sunny skies started to change....
....and after all the bugs were cleaned off the truck and trailer...the sun slowly returned...
A few more hours and we arrived at the Badlands National Park in South Dakota.
Great view from our campsite of the Badlands...
George will tell you I am not very consistent with putting the lids on things and tightening the lid....
I think I learned my lesson.....
This is what a large bottle of Pomegranate Juice looks like outside of the bottle!!!!
Every tray....every drawer....
Pomegranate infused celery and lettuce...Yum Yum!!
As we are basically in the middle-of-nowhere.....the skies are so dark...and the stars so bright....and when I was sitting on the picnic table.....I couldn't believe my eyes.....but one single firefly flew right by me....Who knew??? I had no idea...but when I googled it...sure enough...in the grasslands....
there are fireflies....















Comments
Post a Comment