So back to Savannah, Georgia again today. We arrived later in the day in hopes to find some music to listen to.
The weather is a mixed bag again today.
I thought my camera gave me away as a tourist....but I think the hats might scream Tourist!!
We went back to the water....always drawn to the water no matter where we go. We have seen dolphins most days we have been near the water....I can watch those forever....
but today...it's more ship trafffic...
You think the buildings are big...until you see this ship come in so close to shore and it just dwarfs everything...so cool.
The Waving Girl....
As the story goes, life at the remote cottage was lonely for Florence whose closest companion was her devoted collie. At an early age, she developed a close affinity with the passing ships and welcomed each one with a wave of her handkerchief. Sailors began returning her greeting by waving back or with a blast of the ship's horn. Eventually, Florence started greeting the ships arriving in the dark by waving a lantern.
Florence Martus continued her waving tradition for 44 years and it is estimated that she welcomed more than 50,000 ships during her lifetime.
There is a lot of unsubstantiated speculation about Florence having fallen in love with a sailor who never returned to Savannah. The facts, however, about why she started and continued the waving tradition for so many years remain a mystery.
The houses are amazing but so are these!! I think I could live here!
There are little walkways leading to what I imagine are amazing courtyards.
just one more building pic....
Now this is Pete the Cat....apparently he is famous
The artist is from Savannah....he has books and now it's even animated!
Savannah is a very artsy city. It's also a very relaxed city. I spoke with a woman in an Art Studio....she was this beautiful woman of colour... who spoke like an angel....so calm....so relaxed....she told me about why she loved Savannah and it's culture and people...
I was mesmerized by her voice....I bought some of her art on Greeting Cards to remember her by...
If you had weeks you may never see all the galleries here...
There is an area about 3 or 4 blocks long lined with restaurants...pubs....galleries...etc.
You can grab a beer to go and wander around the area....listen to some music....pretty sweet!
Had my first Georgia Peach Sangria....yummy!
There was a SCAD fashion show (Savannah College of Art and Design) going on downtown....very interesting place to people watch...the amazing and interesting clothing designs makes you feel....rather drab and boring...
Drawn back to the water again...
And this is a lady who we met on the street....while looking at a menu....there was 3 of them from the Maine area....a group of 6....who have gone on an annual "party weekend" for 15 years....and party they were....they were so funny....they were freaking out about the colour of my legs....and then they saw George and Joe and their tans....and OMG!!! Hilarious....
Little window shopping!
And this is a lady who we met on the street....while looking at a menu....there was 3 of them from the Maine area....a group of 6....who have gone on an annual "party weekend" for 15 years....and party they were....they were so funny....they were freaking out about the colour of my legs....and then they saw George and Joe and their tans....and OMG!!! Hilarious....
The waterfront was pretty busy tonight...a night market going on...
Comments
Post a Comment