A little early morning entertainment for George.....Port of Canaveral workers replacing a cement pad in the campsite next to us.  They have been working for a few days now...slowly...and are pouring the concrete today.


Off to the John Kennedy Space Center. 
We had visited in 2013 but there is so much to see here that we needed to visit again.




So can you imagine being stuck in space in this capsule for 14 days with someone else??




14 days!!! Who does this??? 


Look at the size of this thing!!!
Those are some brave and slightly crazy astronauts!



This one is a bit bigger but I still can't image it!

CONSTELLATION SPHERE

Known as a Kugel ball, this 9 ton black granite sphere etched with 88 constellations floats on a fountain of water, demonstrating the science of buoyancy and friction.

They have some great 3D movies that we watched....it really puts it all into perspective.

I went to what they call an "Interactive Encounter"...this one was with Tom Jones. I am just kinda interested in the space stuff...until I listened to this amazing man talk....I was sitting at the edge of my seat....

Funny side note....when we arrived I saw a sign that said "Lunch with Tom Jones" and George says...."Who would want to have lunch with Tom Jones....he's so stretched and pulled you can't even recognize him!!"  Joe and I laugh....not thinking anything more....
nobody even thinking it was this Tom Jones.....
the astronaut ....
and not the singer Tom Jones!!!  ha ha ha ha ha

So much to see and really just not enough time in one shorter day. But really cool stuff none the less.





..and this is where the important stuff happens...which we just see the outside of the building...
it doesn't look big in this picture....but it's actually huge!


I so want one of these!!! Instead of boring old house plants....Salad on a stand!!!



The Atlantis looks so big!!! Until you think of what this Space Shuttle did and what the astronauts accomplished while inside this thing.....doesn't look that big after all!


When I listened to Tom Jones he explained what this was...yes!
 Escape Hatch! 
And on his second mission....Just before liftoff...The Sirens went off! 
They had no idea what had happened....
They were getting all prepared to have to escape through this hole
 and be basically shot through an escape tunnel....
but they determined there was no immediate danger so they just aborted and walked off....

He said they all were excited to actually do the escape....and were hoping to actually try it out...and not just a simulation exercise....
but were told....get this.....
"It would be too dangerous for the astronauts to do the ejection!!!"   


Now this is Horse power!!!




This was a great way to make it down from the second floor to the main floor!

Love this Airstream! They use this to transport the astronauts to the launch site...How cool is that!

Beam me up Scotty!!!

And Wild Hogs!!!

And finally....after way too long....we found the manatees! 


There was maybe 15 or 20 of these guys....really hard to tell because they were not showing much ....they slowly surface...drink the fresh water...slowly disappear...do this several times...then they slowly leave and make room for the next manatee to drink....
it's all very calming watching these gentle giants...


Gracie on the other hand....was vibrating with excitement!!
She so wanted to swim with the manatees!!


and beer and dinner at...Playalinda...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog